From:
[log in to unmask] (Yukihiro Ikeda)
Date:
I basically agree with David Mitch. But let me add a point for
clarification.

I think that we have two cases to discriminate: those texts which do not
need any kind of specific knowledge from readers and those which presuppose
some basic knowledge of economics.

I can recommend Smith's Wealth of Nations even for freshman seminars, but
reading, for instance, Keynes's GN without any substantial knowledge of
macroeconomics is unthinkable. The same can be said of Walras's Elements.
These works must read after finishing the basic courses of macroeconomics
and microeconomics.

Yukihiro Ikeda