From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Doherty)
Date:
Hello Contributers,

I am delighted that although I joined this list yesterday I already have
come upon a subject near and dear to my own heart. I started my first micro
and
macro courses this semester and fell in love with the power and scope of
economic thinking. I immediately began to search out the great books of
economics. I started at the beginning; no, not Smith, the real beginning,
Hesiod's Work and days. I have subsequently read (I am not saying I have
given these writers the thorough reading they deserve) Smith, Veblen,
Ricardo, Malthus, Marx, Heilbroner, and others. I find this grounding
allows me the proper foundation and perspective on modern economics. If
there was originally a list of works and authors that started this string I
would be gratefull if someone could send it to me. Also if anyone has their
own recommendations for a motivated economics student like myself (im also
trying to shore up my philosophy background) I would love it.

Michael Doherty
UMass student