From:
Samuel Bostaph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:45:44 -0400
It seems to me it is a lot easier to obtain agreement concerning what
constitutes plagiarism than it is to determine misrepresentation.

There was an amusing op ed in the New York Times the other day about
puns. My favorite occurs in the alleged encounter between Lady Margot
Asquith and Jean Harlow. When Harlow mispronounced Lady Margot's name
by emphasizing the "t", Lady Margot replied, "My dear, the "t" is
silent as in "Harlow."

Now, I do think Jean Harlow's moral status is debatable, as are many
cases of alleged "misrepresentation;" however, if that New York Times op ed
were translated into Chinese and published as the work of Hu Jintao,
I doubt that anyone would not agree that the article was plagiarized.

Samuel Bostaph