From:
Alain Alcouffe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 17:30:02 +0200
Thanks for the tips
I believed that it was a reference to Berkeley and his "ghosts of
departed quantities" but by this sentence, Berkeley targeted the
infinitesimals (or the calculus) not the law of motion. Besides, I could
not find the expression or an approaching one in Berkeley..
Then I searched in the 4 letters of Isaac Newton to Bentley - in the
third one, Newton came very close to the idea.. describing a “divine
arm” placing planets ...
Anyway I continue to suspect that despite google search the expression
could be found during the 18th century - (possibly as a joke about the
Holy Ghost)
During the 20th century, the expression in relation to Newton appears in
A. Koestler, The Sleepwalkers. A History of Man’s Changing Vision of the
Universe, London, Penguin Books, 1959, p. 511. (and also ghost-fingers)

On 28/07/2014 14:35, Scot Stradley wrote:
> I don't have the quotes at fingertip, but the phrase probably refers to Berkeley's critique of the metaphysics of calculus.
> Newton's method of determining the limit involved the use of triangles whose side adjacent to the curve was gradually
> reduced so that the known properties of geometry could explain the slope of the curve.  Newton lays this out in Book
> I of the Principia.  Obviously the size of the side facing the curve and the area of the triangle were gradually reduced--
> hence the reference to vanishing quantities.
>
> Scot A. Stradley, Ph.D.
> Professor of Finance
> Offutt School of Business
> Concordia College