From:
Ric Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2023 21:17:56 -0700
I found this in Virginia Woolf's diaries about Keynes. Interesting.
Ric Holt
 I sat in Gordon Square yesterday for an hour and a half talking to
Maynard. Sometimes I wish I put down what people say instead of describing
them. The difficulty is that they say so little. Maynard said he liked
praise; and always wanted to boast. He said that many men marry in order to
have a wife to boast to. But, I said, it’s odd that one boasts considering
that no one is ever taken in by it. It’s odd too that you, of all people,
should want praise. You and Lytton are passed beyond boasting—which is the
supreme triumph. There you sit and say nothing. I love praise, he said. I
want it for the things I’m doubtful about. Then we got upon publishing, and
the Hogarth press; and novels. Why should they explain what bus he took? he
asked. And why shouldn’t Mrs. Hilbery be sometimes the daughter of
Katharine. Oh, it’s a dull book, I know, I said; but don’t you see you must
put it all in before you can leave out. The best thing you ever did, he
said, was your Memoir on George. You should pretend to write about real
people and make it all up. I was dashed of course (and Oh dear what
nonsense—for if George is my climax I’m a mere scribbler).”

— A Writer's Diary (Harvest Book) by Virginia Woolf
https://a.co/0Ng776q

--
Richard P.F. Holt
Ivy Cottage